Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Devil and Daniel Johnston



So now that my 1 year-old (computer) keeps shutting itself down whenever the spirit moves her, I'm going to have to keep it brief.

This movie is important. Long ago I asked a few people to catch it with me at the Sunshine and none of us found the time (some of us didn't really want to.)

Daniel Johnston is the hero in the modern day real-life tragic sense, and if you don't like his music, you'll love his drawings. If you don't like those, you'll love his story. If you don't like them, you'll love his parents or watching Gibby Hanes getting his teeth cleaned or Lee Renaldo searching for Daniel J in New Jersey. (BTW, the Butthole Surfers used to be called the Ashtray Babyheads.)

I felt compelled to draw or make a piano out of paper clips after watching this moving. It has Jesus. It has institutionalization. It has the power to compel you to stop being too lazy to record your very short life, and to remember all of the people who have taken care of you, and that everyone needs to be taken care of sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you they were selling his drawings at a show in Austin 4 years ago for $25? I didn't buy one because i didn't have any cash and didn't want to deal with the ATM fee.

One time he bummed a cigarette from me and we talked about New York. He said he liked it which surprised me.

Can we have a screening?!?!?

Xenia said...

Yes, we can certainly screen the movie before I return it. The best day for me is Saturday. How about you? And who else shall I invite?