Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"Ridiculous"

People call other people's actions, worries, likes, behavioral tendencies, clothing and word usage "ridiculous" a lot in the circle of people I manage to interact with on a daily level.

From etymonline.com:

1550, from L. ridiculosus "laughable," from ridiculus "that which excites laughter," from ridere "to laugh." In modern senses, ridicule

For example, some people think that the following are ridiculous:
, , , , and so on.

However, is it funny in my example of what I am talking about if:
Someone really likes cashmere socks and freaks out if someone accidentally loses on of that person's socks, or if someone really likes doing yoga at four a.m. every morning in the middle of his sleep cycle or if someone talks a lot really loudly or wears spandex under EVERYTHING? i.e.

Maybe not. They say an idea starts seriously/sacredly, turns into profanity, enters laughability and can finally then be seen with any clarity of imagination at all. Those things which we take very seriously are not allowed to be funny and we aren't allowed to get a range of ideas or creative solutions to the uncomfortable feelings these subjects provoke in us: i.e. the holocaust, War, people's moms.

I personally find dead babies not to be so controversial...

I google img'ed dead baby, but I'm pretty sure I want to spare you on that one.

SELF DEFENSE


I took a self defense class with a young redhead sassy high school gym teacher, because in my high school you got to choose your classes. I, however, was busy chasing a friend of mine who was crying b/c she got a B in gym. While I was in the locker room saying, "It's fine, just bring your gym clothes next time," the other classes got filled up. I only remember one move. There were fourteen people in our class and about 45 in all the other classes, like, "soccer" or "volleyball." Half of the people in my class were pure delinquents. I loved them.

I have a new self defense technique. Always carry a really hot beverage:
or

And throw it in someone's face if they try to rob you. And when they look like this they will think twice about robbing you.

2 comments:

tront said...

PIZZAFACE

annie said...

to think everything is ridiculous is so very sartre. isn't that ridiculous of me to say? child abuse is definately a little ridiculous.